Monday, October 21, 2013

miscellany in October

Dahlia turned 6 months old last week, amazing.
There are still days that I catch myself surprised that I now have a family of four. All those years of infertility, wondering, if I'd be a mother, and now I am, and to two girls. Wow.

Sleep continues to be the biggest challenge of motherhood, for me. I just don't have it in me to let my kids cry it out. Acorn sleeps like a champ, now. Since starting eating, Dahlia is sleeping better, some nights, but some nights she waked every 45minutes to 1.5 hours. Yikes.

After a rough first month of preschool(which meets 3 days a week, from 9-1) Acorn is suddenly loving preschool, so much so that the girl who used to say "I don't want to go anymore" was sad when school was closed on Friday for a professional day.

I am still working part-time(just two days, 4-6 hours each), which has been great for my sanity, though not in the moments when I am trying to get all three of us out the door. When I am teaching, I forget to worry about the baby, I talk about literature and learn from my students. Lovely.

Mr S was furloughed during the recent idiocy, and our fragile 'just barely making it' financial situation really hit home. As a contractor, he doesn't get back pay. I am still infuriated with the people who used that platform for grandstanding.

But, in our personal life, I still feel it is a good thing to have me home as much as I am, and I have hopes that we'll make it through these years, not able to go on vacations or fix up the house, but happy the girls had so much of my time. I figure I can work more when they are both in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment